This is the type of chili that satisfies every winter craving. It's hearty, savory, easy-to-make comfort food. If you served it at a party, your company would certainly not be disappointed. In fact, they'd probably ask you for the recipe and tell everyone they knew about "the time my friend made the most amazing chili... it had sweet potatoes in it!"
Party of one? Not a problem. Portion this protein-packed stew into mason jars or storage containers and set them in the freezer for a snowy evening (or even a chilly summer night).
Once you give it a try, please let us know how you liked it in the comments below!
Hearty Sweet Potato Chili
- 1 onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sweet potato, diced
- 1-3 tbsp chili powder (depending on how spicy you like it)
- 3 tbsp cumin
- 1, 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 6-8 cups vegetable, chicken, or beef broth
- 3-5 thumb-sized pieces of chili chocolate (or regular chocolate or 1 tbsp cocoa powder)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp espresso or coffee
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1, 15 ounce can black beans
- 1, 15 ounce can pinto beans
- 1, 15 ounce can kidney beans
- 1 lb ground beef (grass fed recommended; can also use ground turkey or no meat)
In a sauce pot over medium heat, add onion and stir continuously until browned. Add a splash of broth to prevent sticking.
Then, add garlic sweet potato and continue to stir. Add beef, chili powder and cumin and stir until beef is browned.
Add in tomatoes, chocolate or cocoa powder, maple syrup, espresso, cinnamon, and beans, and remaining broth and let simmer 30 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender. Top with cilantro and enjoy!